Canadian Cancer Statistics 2021 update
A new Canadian Cancer Statistics full report was released in Nov. 2021. Full reports, published every second year, include detailed statistics on incidence, deaths, and survival, among other metrics, or over 20 different types of cancer.
Compared to the last full report released in 2019, 500 more Canadians are projected to receive a diagnosis of myeloma in 2021. This represents a myeloma incidence rate increase of 0.7 per 100,000 people in males and females combined. The change in incidence rate is mainly due to increases seen in males (1.3 per 100,000 compared to 0.2 per 100,000 in females). Overall, approximately 10 people are diagnosed with myeloma each day.
In 2019, the five-year survival for myeloma between 2012-2014 was predicted to be 44% in males and females combined. In 2021, the Canadian Cancer Society reported an impressive increase of 6% in the five-year survival of people with myeloma for the years 2015–2017, bringing the new 5-year survival rate to 50%.
Compared to other cancers, myeloma has had one of the largest increases in survival over time with a 23 percentage point increase since the early 1990s.